Arkansas


Arkansas was lovely...and warm. I was amazed to see Spanish moss and prickly pear growing in such great profusion. Their growth season is also about a month ahead of ours. I saw daffodils in bloom there, whereas ours were just starting to come up. So much for Arkansas in general. The reason I was even there in the first place was for the CCCA Conference, an annual meeting for people who work at camps. Pretty much everything that has to do with running a camp, from kitchen service to staff discipleship, was covered in the meetings. There was also a meeting about pool maintenance. Zhenya and I sat in on that one. Basically, it went: 'Pools, blah, blah, blah...chemicals, blah, blah, blah....dirt and algea, oh, horror! Blah, blah, blah....more chemicals, blah, blah, blah...'etc. Rather boring, especially as all of the information was printed in the handout. What really bothered me was that the meeting could have been over in 20 minutes, instead of lasting an entire hour. I don't want to sound too negative, though. I learned a lot, and I'm glad that I went. As Zhenya commented, we felt by turns very young and very old. Very young because we were the only two people our age, and very old for the same reason. But I found many of the meetings very interesting and informative, and enjoyed talking with other camp people. 

Our accomodations were also very nice. Our group had the whole first floor of a two story log cabin. Above us were more sleeping quarters, as well as a kitchen and sitting room. The whole place was decorated in an Old West theme, and felt very cozy and inviting. A skunk had apparently found it cozy and inviting, too. He had moved out, but his odor remained. 'Eau de Skunk' we joked, and I coined the name 'Home, Stinky Home'. 

Our last day there was really fun. Zhenya and I explored a small cave in the bluff behind our cabin. I got a chance to try out my new headlamp, which I had been itching to do ever since I got it. Then, the two of us climbed up the bluff to look down at a beautiful view of the river below.


The view

Spanish moss
The cave had beautiful icicles hanging down in front of it...

Our group on the front steps of our cabin
Zhenya on the porch

Arkansas has some very interesting town names. I wished that I had a camera handy as we passed a sign that announced we were in the Flippin Business District. As we were driving through the town of Yellville, in search of a place to eat lunch, we espied an odd-looking group of men. They all wore white, with what appeared to be white turbans on their heads. They sat in straight, orderly rows in front of a roaring fire. My curiousity was stirred, and my imagination immediately kicked into high gear. 

"I think they're Sikhs!" I said. "Sikhs wear white, and they have pyromaniacal tendencies. They usually cremate their dead. Those look like Indian-style turbans, too."

"Sikhs in Yellville, Arkansas?" doubted Mrs. Cotita.

"Maybe Yellville has some really permissive laws. Something that makes it easier for them to practice their beliefs here." Zhenya suggested.  

"Barbequing their dead companion." commented Mr. Cotita.

Wild conjectures continued to be voiced, even after we had found a restaurant. The Klu-Klux-Klan was suggested by some, but I preferred the idea od Sikhs. Mrs. Cotita still was incredulous of Sikhs in Yellville. The two names did sound rather incongruous, but I was willing to accept Zhenya's theory of permissive laws. By the time we were finished eating, I was nearly dieing of curiousity. The Cotitas were equally intrigued, so we went back for another look. We found our Sikhs doing something in a baseball field. Their fire had died down, and they were moving about with long sticks in their hands.

"Cricket!" cried Zhenya.

Then I saw the horses. "Polo! Indians are really avid polo players." I said.

"Actually, I think those sticks are hoes." Zhenya remarked.

"So they are, and what does that van say?"

"'Yellville Correctional Facility'." read Mrs. Cotita. "They're prisoners."

"Yes, those are mounted police." I regretfully observed. I was disappointed. What I had thought to be followers of the world's 7th largest religion, in the very act of ceremonially cremating their dead companion, had turned out to be nothing but a bunch of convicts burning brush.
The supposed Sikhs



Comments

  1. I'm from Yellville, and while in most ways it is your run-of-the-mill rural American town, we also live in a very odd geographic location that does contribute in a unique way.

    This area (Northwest Arkansas, i.e. the Ozarks) was geographically isolated by the hills and poor roads until the late 1970s and that seems to have attracted a fair number of religious sects (mostly Christian, but not all) who want isolation in order to practice more-than-ususally-out-of-the-mainstream beliefs and/or live in a low-cost of living area where land is still relatively cheap.

    As a consequence it's a wildly Conservative congressional district in a historically blue-dog Democratic state. The diversity of uncommon religious sects doesn't translate into any other type of diversity, though, and we do have a few of those religious sects that have direct ties to racist and/or militia movements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you left anything out! It was very amusing and entertaining. You even added some things I had forgotten about! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I just saw this post. The company for which I work, gave the talk on pools. I'll be sure to tell the guys how impressed you were. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! You can comment using your Google, LiveJournal, WordPress, TypePad or AIM account. If you don't have any of those, you can simply fill in one or both boxes on the Name/URL option. Feel free to leave me a link to your own blog or website - I'm always looking for more good things to read.