Twilight

Soo...I've been rather neglectful of this poor little blog. My neglect has not been caused by business or even a lack of things to write about. In fact, I have had several ideas for posts. I've thought about writing a post about how much I hate clothes shopping, or what I think about introverts, or how guilty I feel about spending money, but all these posts struck me as being too negative, or too self-centered, or too...something. So, I deleted them.

Here is something I wrote awhile back. I briefly entertained the idea of writing a collection of my thoughts in book form, but decided that was a very silly, me-centric thing to do. So, here is the thought I had one day around twilight.

Twilight

   The bridegroom, the sun, is giving Earth a final kiss before stealing away and leaving her to the nursemaid, night. Earth heaves a contented sigh as she slowly succumbs to night’s sleep-spell. She is quiet and peaceful, content in the presence of her familiar nursemaid.
   Twilight. The very name is enchanting, and this changing, shifting time is fraught with magic. I do not think that even the busiest, most phlegmatic soul can escape the spell entirely. The strangest tale and the most fantastical adventure suddenly become possible. Fairies are no longer merely the stuff of children’s stories – instead, they are a very legitimate possibility.
   Everyday objects undergo a slow but dramatic change. Do the objects themselves change, or are we suddenly enabled to see them in a better, truer way? The lines of tree trunks sharpen and become staunch black pillars to hold up the painted sky. Shadows slowly, slowly creep out of their daytime hiding places to provide a shelter for the small, nocturnal animals, and perhaps, the fairies. Darkness gradually settles down.
   A few brave planets peek out of the sky dome. Their time for complete celestial conquest is still a little way off, so they hide themselves amongst the tree branches. There they glow with a quiet, serene beauty, like jewels in a maiden’s hair.
   Twilight is a time of peace, of gentle transition. A time for the communion of night and day, human and nature, magic and reality. Twilight is the time for poets, dreamers, and all who have soul eyes to rejoice in the everyday magic of light and shadow and change.
   I say that the magic is of the everyday variety, but it is never humdrum or stale. Everyday magic is always fresh and beautiful to those who retain a childlike sense of wonder and quest.
   The world darkens more and more, as Earth sinks into her slumbers. The elfin magic of twilight deepens into a more mature, brooding sleep-spell. Nursemaid night stoops low over her charge and covers her in the black velvet cloak of night. Watching, waiting, sleeping, ‘til the sun returns to claim his own. 

Comments