A Thousand Words & More; The Coyles on Burns Night



The Coyles on Burns Night, January 2011


Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P93


I don't know if Mom gets The Missourian any more. She said that Joe and I were the only ones who actually read it...but that it was handy to always have paper around to start fires. I mostly read the People section, the advice column, and the births, weddings, and obituaries. I'm pretty sure Joe read everything else. It was a good system, because I figured he'd tell me if I missed out on an interesting article in another section.

This photo, though not as high-quality as some, does a good job of expressing a certain aspect of my family; in the age of the internet, we read the newspaper.

We also celebrate Burns night because somebody, at some point, had goat stomachs that needed to be used up and the natural conclusion to that was 'Haggis! Costumes! Celebrate the birthday of a long-dead Scottish poet!'And so the annual celebration of Burns Night, by people whose Scottishness is probably about 4% tenuous ancestral connections and 96% 'this is a great excuse for a party' began.

And good times were had by all.

Comments