A Thousand Words & More; Richmond


I took a stroll back through my photo archives.

Oh, the memories!

Oh, the cringe-worthy shots that seemed like such a good idea at the time.

Oh, the unexpectedly decent shots that I got with surprising frequency even before I had a good camera or 'knew what I was doing'.

Funny thing, but I can still remember the tiny details surrounding almost all of my photos...the emotions, the small events of the day on which it was taken, even the smells in the air. Strolling through the archive is more than just a photographic review. It's opening a time capsule into the life of the Janie of the past - what she thought and felt and found important - and to the people that surrounded her and made up her world.



Richmond, December 2011



Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P93






























We've a long-standing joke, my brother and I. He always said that we'd meet up in a warzone somewhere. He'd be in the military and I'd be there doing humanitarian work. I don't know if that will ever happen, but it expresses our very different natures rather handily. These photos were shot when he was getting into his hobby of playing airsoft, and I was passing through a phase of heavily editing every photo I could get my hands on. Thanks be to goodness, we've both matured since then. He's got better airsoft gear (and a job, and a family), and I'm a much better photographer (and a missionary). I thought, though, that today would be a good day to share these shots, because it's Richmond's birthday, and what better way to celebrate than by sharing photos that will probably be at least mildly embarrassing for the both of us?

Love you, bro! I highly doubt you'll ever see this, but just for the record, you'll always be my favorite big little brother, fellow history buff, lover of weird films and repartee, and the receiver of my unfiltered opinions about life, the universe, and everything.

Happy Birthday!




Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P93






























Oh, and I'm thinking I might continue meandering through the old archive and throwing a few favorite shots in the general direction of this blog. Just for kicks, y'know.


Comments