Be Still

'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.' Psalm 46:10

I was frustrated with God. I kept asking Him questions that seemed, to me at least, to be important, and He didn't answer. Then one day, He showed me the reason why. I kept asking Him a question and then promptly busying my mind with other things. Not bad things, but things that distracted me from listening to God. The CD player, an absorbing novel, the newest story I was writing, and, when I wasn't being externally distracted, my mind was racing a mile a minute. I was blocking God out.

God often has to work pretty hard to get through to me, even when I'm not listening to my music. Sometimes I reflect that the 'still small voice' is usually more of a full-bodied shout. In this world of diversions and entertainments, it's easy to ignore Him. I spend my 15-30 minutes of devotion time (when I'm not too busy), and then forget about listening to God's voice for the rest of the day.

Of course, being still isn't just about turning off the CD player or laying down the book. It's about carrying on a mental conversation with God all day long; asking Him things, and then giving Him a chance to answer without having to yell. Clearing my mind of distractions sounds really easy, but it's not. I can barely manage to stay completely and totally focused on Him, blocking all else out, for a minute or two. However, with His help, I know that I will improve.

It is only when we learn to be truly still, truly focused on God, that we can be used effectively by Him. It is only when we learn to listen to Him, in spite of the distractions in our lives, that we can be used to 'exalt Him in the earth.'

That's what God's been challenging me with lately. I hope that it will be an encouragement to someone.

Comments

  1. Good post Janie. A very accurate description of what I think a lot of us do, whether we realize it or not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing what you have to say! You can comment using your Google, LiveJournal, WordPress, TypePad or AIM account. If you don't have any of those, you can simply fill in one or both boxes on the Name/URL option. Feel free to leave me a link to your own blog or website - I'm always looking for more good things to read.