Heavenly Thoughts

'Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul.'
1 Peter 2:11

'I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.'
John 17:14

A foreigner. That's what I felt like in Mozambique. Don't get me wrong, I loved it there. But I never felt quite 'at home'. In spite of the joy, happiness, and fellowship, there was always a slight undercurrent of 'un-belonging'. Then, there came the day when I got back home. I stepped into my house, and immediately had the peaceful feeling of home.

Until today, I had never before thought of Heaven in terms of being a home. I had always thought of it as a beautiful place. A perfect place. But it is more than that. The thought hit me today, 'going to Heaven will be like coming home from Mozambique. Only, it will be better, because going to Heaven will be a perfect homecoming, un-marred by stains of sin.' Heaven is my home. The only place where I will truly belong. When I get there, the ache of longing that is always lurking at the back of my heart will finally be stilled. I will, for the first time, feel truly at home. At peace. I will know, beyond a shadow of doubt, that this is the place where I belong.


Comments